Life in the Midst of a Pandemic - What are you learning in quarantine?

Life, of course, looks different during a global pandemic. Most of your time is spent at home, you can't see your friends, masks are essential and your day to day life can feel rather boring.

I am one of the lucky few who are able to keep going to work since I am the only at the office, but I still wear my mask as much as I can, I wash my hands a lot, and wipe down all the surfaces when I come in and leave. When I am not at work my time would be spent laying in the sun when it's warm out, watching some shows or movies, chatting with my roommates, scrolling through TikTok (yes after a month in quarantine I fell into the trap and downloaded the app) going on several hour long walks, eating food, and leading online bible studies.


For me, life actually got more busy when the quarantine started. I found myself spending a lot more time in zoom meetings, calling people, leading longer bible studies, and having a longer to-do list at work. With everything online, normal structures no longer apply so lots of time had to be spent planning and trying new structures.

For a few weeks, life was really hard. I didn't know how to cope because...well...none of us have gone through a world wide pandemic before. Life, with no warning, abruptly changed and we had to immediately adapt. Now that some time has passed, the new normal feels, well, normal. I am used to staying home more, I am used to wearing masks when I have to go somewhere, I am used to not going to restaurants or chilling in coffee shops, I began to actually really enjoy online bible studies and prayer meetings, and not seeing everyone feels more normal. Yesterday I got food to go and walked into the restaurant to pick it up and it felt extremely unnatural to be inside a restaurant. The idea of normal before quarantine feels not normal...weird how that works.

Some positives that have come from quarantine has been spending more quality time to people I live with. We have all gotten even more comfortable...some may say too comfortable...with each other, and have really gotten to know each other on a deeper level. Due to social distancing I have found myself talking with friends back home more than I have since I moved to Utah in August. Saying that, I have also grown to cherish friendship and people in my life a whole lot more than ever before. Being in quarantine has also showed me how refreshing it can be to live a more simplistic life and living with what you already have.

I think there is a lot each of us can learn about ourselves, our friends and family, and our world through this time. I think God has a lot for us to learn. If I were to give you any advice, it would be to stop and really pay attention to what is happening. I know things are very hard, and for some it is extremely more difficult than it is for me, but don't miss out on what God is doing right now. God is moving, and it can be so easy for us to miss out.

Some ways I have been doing this is by making video blogs explaining the circumstances and how that affect me personally. Years from now I won't remember all the details, so I decided to record them.

So, what might God be doing in your life right now through quarantine? Is he exposing new personality traits you didn't know you had? Is he exposing toxic friendships or revealing how wonderful the people in your life really are? Is he showing you some bad habits you had that you have been forced to give up? What are you learning through quarantine?

For me, I learned that it is hard for me to experience something I have little control over. I don't like have car problems because I can't just ignore them and keep on living, because I need my car to go to work. In the same way, with COVID, I haven't had a choice but to go along with the guidelines, and I have very little control over the circumstance. I like being able to have choices and have some control, and I have really learned this through quarantine.

What have you learned through experiences quarantine?

Comments

Popular Posts