Avignon and Provence France

Avignon is a medieval walled city in France. Here, there is the Pont D'Avignon bridge which only half of it is still here as part of it was destroyed during the Albigensian Crusade. In this city there is also the popes palace. We got to walk around the town, get some lunch, explore its market, and try some lavender ice cream (which is really good). 





Before heading to Provence, we make a detour. On this day, it was also the fourth of July so this activity seemed quite fitting. We went kayaking down the Pont Du Gaurd where we got to go under a 2,000 year old Roman aqueduct. Tiff and I were a team which we called Team Idaho Nebraska. We were dead last the whole time as we wanted to enjoy ourselves and not race. It was so relaxing and much needed. After passing under the aqueduct, everyone pulled to the side to swim and participate in some cliff jumping. I was nervous at first, but then I thought...when am I ever going to get the chance to cliff jump at this stunning location? So I did, and I loved it! Just after, we set back on our kayaking journey.
Only a few minutes later we were attacked. A young french guy jumped into the water and came and tipped over our kayak. Our boat was emptied, but I luckily was able to grab everything as we were in a part of the river where it was quite deep, At this point, nearly everyone from our group was way ahead of us. The same french guy helped us turn our kayak back over. I put all our stuff back in, thanking him and I got back in. But...then he got in and left Tiff in the water as he tried to paddle away. Without warning we were back in the water, I cut my lip, and all our stuff (shoes, paddles, hats, go pro) were somewhere in the river. Adam came to the rescue and so did a random man who both jumped in to help us out. Thanks to the brave stranger, all of our stuff were recovered! We got back in our kayak and finished the journey. Later to find out that they attacked others from our group, and they were hitting the french men in the necks with paddles in order to keep them away from them. They apparently were also doing this as initiation into a french gang. 




We finally made it to Provence. Some went on a walking tour, but myself and three friends decided to relax after our crazy day and get some dinner. Except, the craziness continuous as this became the most awkward and weirdest dinner of our lives. Our server either was American or spoke English, but either way he seemed constantly confused. We were also the only ones in there. The menu was weird and my friend ordered a hot dog which was a color that a hot dog should never be. 






Overall, this entire post happened in one day, and man was that a crazy, weird, yet memorable 4th of July. 




Comments

Popular Posts