Rome, Italy

As soon as we arrived in Rome, we left it. 
We entered the walls of Vatican City, a city-state surrounded by Rome. 
It felt like a million degrees out, yet we had to wear clothing the covered our knees and shoulders. We got a walking tour of the entire city which was stunning. The paintings on the walls were my favorite. They even painted the shadows on the paintings to add definition. We got to see famous sculptures, the Sistine chapel (known for Michelangelo's famous ceiling art), and St. Peter's Basilica. The pictures I have taken do not do it justice. St. Peter's Basilica was so breathtaking that the only way you could understand it, is by seeing it in real life. There is this big arch that is over 100ft tall, but because of the scale of the building, it seems much much smaller. We then walked back into Rome, browsed the gift shop, then got to our hostel to change and get ready to explore on our first night.








The left side is Rome, the right side is Vatican City.



As we walked around signing "this is what dreams are made of", we saw so many famous sights such as the Spanish steps (sadly under construction at the time), and the Trevi fountain! The fountain was against a building, which for some reason I was not aware of. I also did not know it was located in a square. My usual crew and I went to the side and threw three coins each in, one to return to Rome, two to fall in love, and three to get married. What an experience. We then moved on to seeing many more fountains, as there seemed to be one in the center of every square.  








The next day, some of the group went with Adam to make pasta, while the rest of us went on a day adventure around the city. First stop was the pantheon where we got to walk around this unique rounded church. The ceiling has a hole in the top, they even said that when it rains, the church becomes flooded with water.



Finally, the best part of Rome, the ancient ruins and the Colosseum. It was so hot out that if you stood in one place for too long, your shoes would begin to melt onto the sidewalk. At the ruins, it is hard to believe what it used to look like, how they lived, and how long ago that was. I am not a big history person, but I could spend days hearing about Rome's ancient history. The Colosseum was as gigantic and mind blowing as I have always heard. It was huge, aged, and one of the most unique places I have been. The exposed part at the bottom is where they kept the animals, and did not used to be exposed. We left, went to dinner next to the Trevi fountain, then met Adam at this really cool bar he knew of . This is where I tried absinthe...which was awful. After, Adam left us on our own to get on the public transport bus to head home. Let me paint the picture for you...there were maybe 30 or so of us, who have all been drinking, in a city we don't know, with only maybe 3 phones to use for navigation. Let's just say we ended up waiting for the bus in a place that is not a bus stop...actually far from one. We all took taxi's home.  








The final day was all free time. It was still crazy hot out, and we walked up countless amounts of stairs and hills. However, we saw amazing skylines (I recommend doing this in every city you go), and found our way to a hilltop park. It was so peaceful and had lots of palm trees (I love palm trees). At one point, I got gelato that melted so quickly that I had it nearly all over my self. We walked by the river and relaxed. We then went to Castle St. Angelo, one of my favorite places to go in this city. Here, we took in the sights, relaxed, and enjoyed each others company. We then went back to the hostel to rejuvenate. Tonight there was going to be some holiday fireworks so we went back to Castle st. Angelo and saw them in the distance. It is so very peaceful wandering Rome at night. We got dinner, found the right bus home, and ended our time in Roma. 














Rome is by far one of the most incredible places I have ever visited. I cannot wait to go back! 
...maybe not in the summer. 



Comments

Popular Posts