Switzerland

The country side of Germany, on the way to Switzerland was stunning. We drove through the black forest or where it use to exist. We stopped near the border at a little restaurant area with a house sized like cuckoo clock, with a church, bridge, and hiking path next to a waterfall. Deciding to go on that hike was the best decision ever. I felt like I was back home. I was jumping over rocks, going up to the waterfall, and enjoying the first real nature I have had for a while...I felt deprived.










The next stop was in Switzerland at a place called Reyne Falls. It is pretty much a giant waterfall with a lake that flows in to a river. It was crazy hot there, but the water helped keep the area cool. The rest of the drive through Switzerland was getting increasingly more stunning. It is all mountains, hills, rivers, lakes, and small villages. Our hostel was in a small town called Engelberg.




Within 15 minutes of arriving, we set off for a hike to the top of Mount Titlis. It was a bit exhausting, mainly because it was uphill and hot out. The views were amazing of course. Giant pastures, green fields, clear beautiful mountain tops, pine trees, and the views of Engelberg from above. There was also a whole lot of cows, all wearing cowbells, and even some pigs. We got dinner at a restaurant up there, and learned a new cultural thing: applesauce goes on top of pasta. The hike down was nice and cool. My friend fell down a few times, and I laughed, but then I fell down...Karma at its finest. That night, I sat on the balcony by myself, and watched the sky until the mountains were as black as the sky and the stars glistened as bright as the sun.











First one to breakfast. There was bread with ovomaltine, cereal, coffee, and juice. Probably the best breakfast we have had thus far. I even got to get to know the owners of the place and had a nice chat with them. We made our way into Lucerne on the bus and enjoyed more sights. Lucerne is such a neat town. We first walked to see the famous lion carved in the mountain, then walked through the streets. For free time we, of course, got some Swiss chocolate and relaxed by the lake Lucerne.








The next item on our list is a highlight of the entire trip filled with moments I could never forget. We got on a boat to go across the lake to go to the top of Mount Pilatus. We took a tram that took us up the side of the mountain, with sights of the lake and mountains. When we got to the top, it looked fake, unreal, like perfection. A view way up in the Alps, looking over rolling hills, mountains, and lakes. I found myself struggling to keep up with the group, and eventually stood by myself just staring at the world around me. A moment that actually did take my breath away. I was joined by my two close friends Tiff, and Victoria. We had a lovely deep conversation about life, which eventually led to us having a snowball fight in the Swiss Alps (what even is life?). Sadly, it was time to head back down the mountain...we got on a tram and we danced, sang, and played music as we took in the sights from above one more time.












For our last night in Switzerland we decided to take on the challenge of finding a waterfall. We hiked up some hills, found some neat back areas in the mountains, walked with cows, and found a stunning waterfall.










As our final morning arrived, the mountains became covered by clouds, it was mysteriously beautiful.






Goodbye for now Switzerland, you are oh so lovely. You will forever hold a special place in my heart.




Comments

Popular Posts